Well pet checks are aimed at keeping your pet healthy and happy. As the saying goes, “prevention is better than cure”. Regular check ups can dramatically decrease the risk of problems developing as well as enabling early detection of disease allowing early treatment which can improve the chance of recovery or delay the onset of severe disease and improve quality and length of life. In the long run, although it may seem like a waste of money, regular checks can save money and lead to a longer, happier life for your pet, saving you heartache. I recommend these regular checks at least annually, preferably six-monthly or more frequently particularly for growing animals and those in their senior years. These check ups involve a detailed analysis of your pet’s health with advice on preventative health care needed for your individual pet’s lifestyle and health needs. I am also able to discuss any general behavioural concerns you may have, although if severe, these may require a follow-up visit.
A well pet check will last at least 30 minutes. You will be sent a questionnaire before the visit and will get the most out of the visit if you fill this in and return it to me beforehand.
The cost of the visit includes:
- Skin examination (including ears)
- Visual eye examination:
- Some breeds of animal are more prone to particular eye conditions, e.g. glaucoma or dry eye. Specific tests can be done to check these, these will incur an extra cost.
- Dental assessment
- Auscultation of heart and lungs
- Palpation of abdomen to feel for any lumps or other abnormalities
- Palpation of lymph nodes
- Palpation and manipulation of joints
- Anal gland emptying if required
- Weight check
- Nutrition assessment and plan
- Parasite prevention plan (including written prescriptions for any prescription-only medication)
- Vaccination plan (vaccine cost or Vaccicheck blood sample charged separately)
The cost for the above is £70 (£40 for other pets at the same appointment).
For more information about preventative healthcare in cats, please visit the International Cat Care’s Cat Care for Life website.
Recommended minimum frequency of checks:
|2 – 6 months (Baby)||Every 1-2 months||Every 1-2 months||Every 3-6 months|
|6 months – 2 years (Junior)||Every 6 months||Every 6 months||Every 6 months|
|2 – 6 years (Adult)||Annually||Annually||Every 6-12 months|
|7 – 10 years (Mature)||Every 6-12 months||Every 6-12 months||Every 6 months|
|11 – 14 years (Senior)||Every 6 months||Every 6 months||Every 3-6 months|
|15 + years (Super Senior)||Every 3-6 months||Every 3-6 months||Every 3-6 months|