Currently there is a deal of uncertainty as to what the requirements for travel will be after 31st October. If you need to travel with your pet you should contact us an absolute minimum of 4 months before travel to ensure that everything is in place.

Cavalier in footwell of a car

โœˆ Helen is an Official Veterinarian authorised by the government to deal with export paperwork for pets. Our pet travel consultations will advise you on the most up to date requirements for paperwork and also what diseases your pet will need protecting against while you are abroad.

โœˆ If, as anticipated, the UK leaves the EU without a deal on the 31st October, the requirements for pet travel to Europe will be as follows:

  1. A microchip must be implanted between the shoulder blades
  2. A rabies vaccination must be given
  3. At least 30 days after the rabies vaccination, a blood test is needed to ensure that the vaccination has provided protection.
  4. If the blood test comes back negative, step 2 and 3 must be repeated until the test is positive.
  5. Once a positive blood test is received, the pet must wait 3 months from the date of blood sampling before being able to travel.
  6. No more than 10 days before travel, your pet will need an Animal Health Certificate signed by an Official Veterinarian. This certificate will then be valid for onward travel within the EU and return to the UK for 4 months.
  7. On returning to the UK, you will need to visit a vet no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before arrival back in the UK for an approved tapeworm treatment (this is not needed if travelling directly from Finland, Malta or the Republic of Ireland)

โœˆ Please note these are the legal requirements only. There are many other diseases which the travelling pet will be exposed to which these requirements will not protect against. We can advise you on the necessary precautions to keep your pet as safe as possible.