If your pet is very unwell, they are often best seen at a veterinary clinic as there will be more facilities for investigations and more medications kept in stock for immediate use. However many minor ailments can be dealt with at home. Visit our contacts page for details about how to book an appointment
Ailments which may be able to be treated at home
- Vomiting and/or diarrhoea with no loss of appetite and otherwise bright and happy
- Skin irritations
- Ear infections
- Incontinence or excessive urination if your pet is otherwise well
- Eye problems if the eye is comfortable
Follow-up consultations are chargeable at a reduced rate.
Ailments which require a veterinary clinic visit
If your pet has any of the following signs, they will need to be seen at a veterinary clinic as soon as possible. Visit our emergency page for details of our recommended clinic.
- Ingestion of toxic substance (e.g. chocolate, rat/mouse poison, raisins, human medications)
- Recurrent seizures or a single seizure lasting more than 3-5 minutes
- Severe, profuse bleeding – pressure should be applied to any wound for 2 minutes. The wound should then be covered with a dressing if possible and the animal taken to your veterinary surgery immediately.
- Breathing difficulties
- Severe trauma
- Severe bloody diarrhoea
- Severe vomiting
- Sudden onset bloating of abdomen
- Paralysis of limbs