Heat Stroke Dangers

This weekend I was called out to some guinea pigs who had been found collapsed in their hutch. Unfortunately two of them had died before I arrived but the third was successfully treated and is doing well. The reason for their sudden illness? Heat stroke. The owners had only had the guinea pigs for a few weeks and hadn’t realised that the hutch was in a fairly sunny position. It was also insulated with a cover which had acted like a greenhouse causing the hutch to become an oven. There is much publicity about the dangers of leaving dogs in hot cars, but very little about the risks of heat… Read More

Continue Reading